My first 911 experience…

Okay, so I had a good morning. Playtime, meeting Tyler, and all of that. My evening has been the worst of my life. It all started innocently enough.

Daddy had gone up to Grandma Jo’s to help her get Great-grandma Gigi’s car back from the shop. (Everyone in the family seems to be having to take their car to the body shop during the past month!) I was playing in the living room with Mommy, having a great time. Mommy was talking with Daddy on his cell phone and I was giggling up a storm bounding all around. Not a care in the world. Life was good before I lost my innocence… ah, the good old times before today… *sigh* Well, my little chair from IKEA (shown below) jumped into my path (okay, maybe it stayed still and I tripped — it’s all a matter of perspective, isn’t it?) and I took a tumble. Normally not a big deal. This time however, I found myself headed forehead first into the marble step-up into the foyer (also shown below for those of you who haven’t seem our house since the tile was put in). Well, tile and foreheads don’t go together. I screamed and Mommy hung up on Daddy and came running over (actually she was already in motion the moment my tumble started). She scooped me up and blood was going everywhere. Being the smart cookie that she is, she grabbed a towel that was in the area and pressed it to my head. She called 911 and just shouted the information because she couldn’t hear the 911 operator over my screams. Mommy came close to loosing it, but kept it together. I’ve got one cool Mommy. Anyway, Clearwater Fire Rescue arrived and bandaged up my head and then I got loaded into an ambulance for a trip to Mease Countryside. Before they left the house, Mom makes the fire/rescue folks call Daddy on his cell phone — she’s too shaken up to do so. Daddy told me that when he answered and it wasn’t Mommy calling from the house he knew something bad had happened.

Anyway, so far I’m absolutely miserable. My head hurts, I’m covered with blood, they’ve got me strapped to the ambulance gurney, and Mom’s got tears running down her face…

It only gets worse. I get to the ER and all these strange people want to poke and prod me. (Thankfully by then Grandma Jo and Daddy had arrived and my Grandma Susie arrived not much later — she brought me a Care-Bare [that she doctored up with a Band-Aid across the forehead] — very cool!!!! Thanks Grandma!!!!!). The nurse takes to bandage off my head and we get to see the extent of the wound. Not pretty. The wound is about 1 1/4″ long going left to right across my forehead (where we’ve all got those cute wrinkle lines) and goes all the way through to my skull. (Daddy interjects: Thankfully, no skull fracture or change of mental status) When I’m crying and bunching up my forehead, the wound puckers open to be about 1/4″ top to bottom and my skull shows quite clearly.

They put a topical anesthetic on it and I got to sit and wait for an hour or so before the doctor comes back. They wrap me in a sheet and hold me down. Then the doctor takes a really sharp needle attached to some thread and starts poking the needle through my forehead. (Daddy just reminded my they are called sutures — both dissolvable internals ones [3] and external ones that come out in 5 days [5]) Anyway, they hurt despite the topical. They had a bright light shining down on my face and by the time they were done, there was sweat dripping off me and I was nearly hyperventilating from crying so hard. Not cool.

So, I lost my innocent nature. Now I know what can happen from being carefree. *sigh* I want my old carefree days back. 🙁

100 1880
My chair and the step up to the foyer where I hit my head.

100 1876
After the initial exam with the topical anesthetic taped to my forehead. I’ve quit crying because I’m out of energy.

100 1874
Daddy holding me. Thankfully there was a TV in the room. That’s what I’m staring at in this picture and the one below with me on my Mommy’s lap.

100 1875

100 1879
Right before my sutures. Don’t click on this picture unless you really want to see the cut up close. It’s quite graphic for the faint of heart.

After the hospital, Daddy took Grandma’s car to go get dinner for everyone along with carpet cleaner to take the blood out of the carpet. Grandma Jo drove my minivan. She tried to kill us all. She almost when the wrong way out of the hospital, then drove through the ambulance only loading bay, nearly turned into the wrong lane of traffic (I think more than once). Mommy got out and kissed the ground when we got home. (Well, not really, but I think she should have). Sorry Grandma Jo, but your driving scared me!

Anyway, I had a quick bite to eat and then went to bed. Love and kisses to everyone. If I feel up to it, tomorrow we go to EPCOT and I’ll take it easy and relax over there.

5 thoughts on “My first 911 experience…”

  1. Hope you all get some good sleep after such a busy evening. Glad to see you all survived your first real accident. As Ange says, all little boys need scars and broken bones to show they aren’t wooses!! Get well soon!!!

  2. Seems like you are right on track – most kids I know have an emergency room visit before age 2 (both of mine did). You may want to start thinking of the story you want to tell the girls when you get older though, as tripping over a chair and falling on the tile won’t sound real manly when you are 20.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *